The chart above shows the per capita annualized nominal gross domestic product (GDP) in each EU state as of the first quarter of 2020 in euros, the change from five years ago, and the per capita GDP ten years prior. Luxembourg and Ireland had exceptional growth over the past five years.
- The difference between the state with the largest per capita GDP, Luxembourg, and the state with the smallest, Bulgaria, is €115,251.55 (up from €95,265.95 five years ago and up from €69,883.30 ten years ago). Luxembourg and Bulgaria had the largest and smallest per capita GDP respectively both five and ten years ago.
- Luxembourg has 14.70 times the per capita GDP that Bulgaria does. The ratio of largest per capita GDP to smallest per capita GDP was down from 16.80 five years ago and down from 15.20 ten years ago.
- The median per capita GDP in the 28 EU states is €25,982.32 (up from €21,603.53 five years ago and up from €22,046.91 ten years ago) and the mean €33,353.01 (up from €27,940.41 five years ago and up from €23,533.48 ten years ago).
- All states saw their per capita GDP rise in current euros over the past five years.
- Twenty-seven states saw their per capita GDP rise in current euros over the past ten years while one saw its per capita GDP decline.
- GDP data is from the first quarters of 2020, 2015, and 2010.
- Census data is from 2001 and 2011.
- The data is seasonally adjusted in current euros.
- The data is annualized by multiplying the quarterly figure by four.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
In absolute terms, the United Kingdom had the worst performance over the past five years with a rise of €236.93. Ireland had the best performance with a gain of €24,447.10. Over the past ten years, Greece had the worst performance with a drop of €4,901.46 while Luxembourg had the best performance with a gain of €48,862.15.
In relative terms, the United Kingdom had the worst performance over the past five years with a 0.59% rise in per capita GDP while Romania had the best performance with a 43.63% rise in per capita GDP. Over the past ten years, Greece had the worst performance with a 23.12% drop in per capita GDP while Ireland had the best performance with a 119.87% rise in per capita GDP.
There were two states with a per capita GDP of over €40,000 ten years ago, seven states five years ago, and ten states now. Conversely, there were 13 states with a per capita GDP of less than €20,000 ten years ago, 13 states five years ago, and ten states now.
Germany (from 10th to 8th largest per capita GDP), Malta (from 14th to 12th), Czechia (from 19th to 17th), and Estonia (from 20th to 18th) overcame the most states in the five year period moving up two spots each. Conversely, the United Kingdom (from 7th to 10th) and Greece (from 18th to 21st) were each surpassed by three states in the five year period. Over the past ten years, Malta (from 18th to 12th) surpassed six states, while Greece (from 15th to 21st) was surpassed by six.
|State||First Quarter 2010||First Quarter 2015||First Quarter 2020|
Eurostat. 2020. "GDP and Main Components." Accessed August 20, 2020. https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-406779_QID_-AF9872D_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;S_ADJ,L,Z,1;NA_ITEM,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-406779UNIT,CP_MEUR;DS-406779INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-406779S_ADJ,SCA;DS-406779NA_ITEM,B1GQ;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=NA-ITEM_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=S-ADJ_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Eurostat. 2017. "Population change - Demographic balance and crude rates at national level." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054722_QID_690C8C0A_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;INDIC_DE,L,Z,0;INDICATORS,C,Z,1;&zSelection=DS-054722INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-054722INDIC_DE,JAN;&rankName1=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=INDIC-DE_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName4=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.