The chart above shows the number of subway riders in each state. France has a clear lead over every other EU state in subway riders.
- The difference between the state with the most subway riders, France, and the state with the least (that has a subway system), Denmark, is 1,981,900,000 riders.
- France has 32.21 times the subway riders that Denmark does.
- Italy has seven subway systems, France has six, the United Kingdom and Germany each have four, Spain has three, and the Netherlands has two, all other states have one.
- Data is from 2017 except for the Genoa and Rome Metros which are from 2012, the Nuremberg U-Bahn and Athens and Turin Metros which are from 2015, the French, Polish, Romanian, and United Kingdom subways which are from 2016, and the Catania Metro which is from 2018.
- Greece is currently working on building a subway system for Thessaloniki.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
France accounts for over one-fifth of all subway riders in the EU at 21.44%. It, with the United Kingdom and Germany make up over half of the subway riders in the EU at 51.77%.
Italy's largest subway system by riders, the Milan Metro, makes up 58.94% of the total subway riders in the country. France's largest, the Paris Metro, makes up 74.24% of the total subway riders in France. The United Kingdom's largest system, the London Underground, makes up 88.94% of the country's total. Germany's largest system, the Berlin U-Bahn, makes up 41.88% of Germany's total riders. Spain's largest, the Madrid Metro, makes up 56.69% of its total. Finally, the Netherlands' largest system, the Rotterdam Metro, accounts for 55.79% of the total subway riders in the Netherlands.
|State||City||Name||Riders (in millions)|
|Czech Republic||Prague||Prague Metro||435.6|
|United Kingdom||Glasgow||Glasgow Subway||11.4|
|United Kingdom||Newcastle||Tyne and Wear Metro||37.7|
|United Kingdom||London||Docklands Light Railway||122.3|
|United Kingdom||London||London Underground||1,378|
Wikipedia. 2019. "List of Metro Systems." Accessed February 24, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems.