The chart above shows the ratio of the region's proportion of unemployed people in the EU to the region's proportion of total people in the EU. The Southern EU makes up a disproportionate amount of the Union's unemployed.
- The difference between the region with the lowest ratio of unemployed within the EU to people within the EU, the Eastern EU, and the region with the highest, the Southern EU, is 1.18.
- The Eastern EU has 0.32 times - or nearly one-third - the ratio that the Southern EU does.
- Unemployment data is from December 2018.
- Population data is from 2011.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
Eastern EU states have a ratio that ranges from a low of 0.34 in the Czech Republic to a high of 1.10 in Latvia. Western EU states have a ratio that ranges from a low of 0.54 in Germany to a high of 1.31 in France. Northern EU states have a ratio that ranges from a low of 0.86 in Denmark to a high of 1.16 in Sweden. Southern EU states have a ratio that ranges from a low of 0.75 in Malta to a high of 2.52 in Greece.
Two states have a ratio higher than that of the Southern EU: Spain and Greece, both from the Southern EU. On the other end of the spectrum, five states have a ratio lower than the Eastern EU as a whole: four are from the Eastern EU (the Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, and Hungary) and one is from the Western EU (Germany).
Eurostat. 2017. "Population on 1 January by Age Groups and Sex - Functional Urban Areas." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=urb_lpop1&lang=en.
Eurostat. 2019. "Unemployment by Sex and Age - Monthly Average." Accessed February 6, 2019. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055624_QID_6C6753DD_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;S_ADJ,L,Z,0;AGE,L,Z,1;UNIT,L,Z,2;SEX,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-055624SEX,T;DS-055624UNIT,PC_ACT;DS-055624S_ADJ,SA;DS-055624AGE,TOTAL;DS-055624INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=GEO_1_2_0_1&rankName4=AGE_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=SEX_1_2_-1_2&rankName7=S-ADJ_1_2_-1_2&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.