The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each region divided by the population of billionaires in said region. Unlike the previous metric which measured the net worth of billionaires against the total population, this metric shows how wealth is distributed amongst the billionaires of every region. Only the Western US has billionaires who average over $6 billion of net worth.
- The difference between the region with the highest average billionaire net worth, the West, and the region with the lowest, the Northeast, is $1.86 billion.
- The West has 1.43 times the average billionaire net worth that the Northeast does.
- The West has a higher average billionaire net worth than each individual state in the Northeast.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
The West has the highest billionaire net worth overall, highest when its population is taken into account, and it also has the highest average billionaire net worth. The Midwest trails in overall net worth and per capita net worth, but the Northeast trails in average billionaire net worth.
The Northeast is the only region that does not have a single state with an average billionaire net worth of over $5 billion. Every other region has at least one state with an average billionaire net worth of over $20 billion.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.