The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each region divided by the population of said region. The Western US dominates over all other regions.
- The difference between the region with the highest per total capita net worth, the Western US, and the region with the lowest, the Eastern EU, is $17,462.61.
- The Western US has 40.33 times the per total capita billionaire net worth that the Eastern EU does.
- The difference between the US region with the highest per total capita net worth, the Western US, and the EU region with the highest, the Northern EU, is $9,003.02.
- The Western US has 2.01 times the per total capita billionaire net worth that the Northern EU does.
- The Western US has a higher per total capita billionaire net worth than each individual state in each of the Western, Northern, and Eastern EU.
- The Northeastern US and the Northern EU each have a higher per total capita billionaire net worth than each individual state in each of the Western and Eastern EU.
- The Southern and Midwestern US and the Western EU each have a higher per total capita billionaire net worth than each individual state in the Eastern EU.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- EU population data is from 2011; US population data is from 2010.
- EU and US population data come from different sources.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Vermont do not have a single billionaire.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
The Western US has the highest net worth of billionaires and has the highest net worth when population is taken into account. The Eastern EU, which in this metric is last, also ranks last when it comes to total billionaire net worth.
Every single US region has at least one state whose per total capita billionaire net worth is over $25,000. The EU does not have a single state with a per total capita billionaire net worth of over $20,000.
Eurostat. 2017. "Population on 1 January by Age Groups and Sex - Functional Urban Areas." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=urb_lpop1&lang=en.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.
United States Census Bureau. September 2012. "United States Summary: 2010: Population and Housing Unit Counts." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/cph-2-1.pdf.