The chart above shows the net worth of the billionaires of each state divided by the population of said state. Although the net worth of Cypriot billionaires is relatively small, the really small population of the state helps to rank it first in this metric by a large margin.
- The difference between the state with the highest per total capita net worth, Cyprus, and the state with the lowest (that has billionaires), Romania, is $20,888.74.
- Cyprus has 391.51 times the per total capita billionaire net worth that Romania does.
- The median per total capita net worth of billionaires in the 28 states is $821 and the mean $3,098.
- The median per total capita net worth of billionaires in the 20 states that do have billionaires is $2,867.79 and the mean $4,337.27.
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, and Slovenia do not have a single billionaire.
- Billionaire data is from 2018.
- Population data is from 2011.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
Germany which has the highest billionaire net worth overall, ranks fifth when its population is taken into account. The other two leaders in the overall metric, France and the United Kingdom, rank seventh and eighth in this metric, respectively. The leader in this metric, Cyprus, ranks 12th when it comes to total net worth of billionaires.
Seven states' billionaires net worth is not enough to equal more than $1,000 per citizen of their state. These are (in descending order of per total capita billionaire net worth): Greece, Belgium, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and Romania.
Of the 12 states with a population over 10 million, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom rank first, second, and third, respectively and all three have a per total capita of over $3,000. All of these states have at least one billionaire.
Of the six states whose billionaires have a total net worth of over $100 billion, Sweden, Germany, and France rank first, second, and third, respectively and all three have a per total capita of over $4,000.
Eurostat. 2017. "Population on 1 January by Age Groups and Sex - Functional Urban Areas." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=urb_lpop1&lang=en.
Forbes. 2018. "The World's Billionaires List." Accessed October 2, 2018. https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/21/#version:static.