The chart above shows the number of tourists that visited each EU and US state in 2012. EU states account for seven of the top ten states in international tourists. Note however, that US data does not include domestic travelers from other US states whereas EU data does include travelers from other EU countries.
- The difference between the state with the most international tourists, Italy, and the states with the least, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wyoming, is 48,705,246.
- Italy has 1466.37 times the international tourists that Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wyoming do.
- The median number of international tourists in the 50 US states is 333,285 and the mean 1,702,420.
- The median number of international tourists in the 28 EU states is 4,553,726 and the mean 10,921,112.
- The median number of international tourists in the 78 EU and US states is 1,122,100 and the mean 5,011,698.
- Six states accounted for half of all international tourists in EU and US states: Italy, Spain, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and Austria.
- Tourist data is from 2012 except for Ireland which is from 2014.
- US tourist data does not include tourists from other US states. EU tourist data includes tourists from other EU states.
- The data for Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, and West Virginia indicates the maximum possible number of tourists as the sample size was too small to be accurate.
- US data is based on total number of international tourists to the US in 2012 and distributed among the states based on a survey that was conducted on the first quarter of the same year.
US states account 37 of the bottom 40 states in international visitors, and 37 of the bottom 37 as well.
Future posts will look into tourists per capita and tourists per area.
Eurostat. 2018. "Arrivals at Tourist Accommodation Establishments." Accessed September 18, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055748_QID_740A02AF_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;C_RESID,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;NACE_R2,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-055748NACE_R2,I551-I553;DS-055748C_RESID,FOR;DS-055748UNIT,NR;DS-055748INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=C-RESID_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=NACE-R2_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
National Trade and Tourism Office. 2018. "International Visitation in the United States." Accessed September 18, 2018. https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpages/inbound.general_information.inbound_overview.html.
National Trade and Tourism Office. 2018. "Survey of International Air Travelers." Accessed September 18, 2018. https://travel.trade.gov/research/programs/ifs/examples.asp.