The chart above shows the number of tourists that visited each EU state for one night or more in 2012 (unless otherwise indicated). Four states accounted for half of the international tourists in EU states: Italy, Spain, France, and Germany.
- The difference between the state with the most international tourists, Italy, and the state with the least, Luxembourg, is 47,788,154.
- Italy has 51.28 times the international tourists that Luxembourg does.
- The median number of international tourists in the 28 EU states is 4,553,726 and the mean 10,921,122.
- Eight states accounted for three-quarters of all international tourists in EU states: Italy, Spain, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Austria, the Netherlands, and Greece.
- Tourist data is from 2012 except for Ireland which is from 2014.
- Tourist data includes tourists from other EU states.
States from the Southern and Western EU account for well over three-quarters of all international tourist stays in EU states.
Future posts will look into tourists per capita and tourists per area.
Eurostat. 2018. "Arrivals at Tourist Accommodation Establishments." Accessed September 18, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055748_QID_740A02AF_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;C_RESID,L,Z,0;UNIT,L,Z,1;NACE_R2,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-055748NACE_R2,I551-I553;DS-055748C_RESID,FOR;DS-055748UNIT,NR;DS-055748INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=C-RESID_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=NACE-R2_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.