The chart above shows the average vacation expenditures for overnight stays by EU region as proportion of per capita GDP. There is quite a disparity on vacation spending in EU regions with the Eastern EU spending more than twice as much of per capita GDP on vacations than the Northern EU.
- The difference between the region with the greatest vacation spending as proportion of per capita GDP, the Eastern EU, and the region with the least, the Northern EU, is 0.92 percentage points.
- The Eastern EU has 2.49 times the average vacation expenditures as percent of per capita GDP that the Northern EU does.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- United Kingdom vacation spending data is from 2013, all other data is from 2015.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
Even though the Eastern EU spends the least as a whole on their vacations, their smaller income means that they spend more of their income on vacations than any other region.
Just as the Eastern EU spends nearly two-and-a-half times what the trailing region does when per capita GDP is factored in, it also spends nearly two-and-a-half times less what the leading region spends in total euros.
Eurostat. 2017. "Data Explorer." Accessed December 11, 2017. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=urb_lpop1&lang=en.
Eurostat. 2018. "Data Explorer." Accessed August 20, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-321805_QID_-9617439_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;PURPOSE,L,Z,1;DURATION,L,Z,2;PARTNER,L,Z,3;EXPEND,L,Z,4;INDICATORS,C,Z,5;&zSelection=DS-321805INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-321805DURATION,N_GE1;DS-321805UNIT,EUR;DS-321805PURPOSE,PERS;DS-321805PARTNER,WORLD;DS-321805EXPEND,TOTAL;&rankName1=PARTNER_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=EXPEND_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=DURATION_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=PURPOSE_1_2_-1_2&rankName7=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName8=GEO_1_0_0_1&sortR=ASC_-1_FIRST&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Eurostat. 2018. "Eurostat - Tables, Graphs and Maps Interface." Accessed June 26, 2018. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/table.do?tab=table&init=1&language=en&pcode=tec00001&plugin=1.