The chart above shows the average vacation expenditures for overnight stays by EU state. Western and Southern EU states make up the five largest spenders on vacations.
- The difference between the state with the greatest vacation spending, Luxembourg, and the state with the least, Latvia, is €660.15.
- Luxembourg has 7.13 times the average vacation expenditures that Latvia does.
- The median vacation spending for the 27 EU states (the United Kingdom was missing data) is €233.80 and the mean is €319.50.
- Only three states' citizens spend over €600 on their trips: Luxembourg, Malta, and Austria.
- Of the eight states that spend less than €200, seven of them are from the Eastern EU, the other is Portugal.
- The United Kingdom was not included because it was missing data.
Luxembourg has an average spending rate that is 1.19 times higher than the leading Southern EU state, Malta; an average spending rate that is 1.91 times higher than the leading Northern EU state, Denmark; and an average spending rate that is 3.28 times higher than the leading Eastern EU state, Slovakia.
It should be interesting to see how these expenditures match up with per capita GDP. An upcoming post will explore this further.
Eurostat. 2018. "Data Explorer." Accessed August 20, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-321805_QID_-9617439_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;PURPOSE,L,Z,1;DURATION,L,Z,2;PARTNER,L,Z,3;EXPEND,L,Z,4;INDICATORS,C,Z,5;&zSelection=DS-321805INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;DS-321805DURATION,N_GE1;DS-321805UNIT,EUR;DS-321805PURPOSE,PERS;DS-321805PARTNER,WORLD;DS-321805EXPEND,TOTAL;&rankName1=PARTNER_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=EXPEND_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=DURATION_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=PURPOSE_1_2_-1_2&rankName7=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName8=GEO_1_0_0_1&sortR=ASC_-1_FIRST&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.