The chart above shows the GDP and change in GDP over the last year in US regions. The Western US had both the greatest growth and the greatest growth rate. However, the South did remain the region with the greatest economy.
- The difference between the region with the greatest absolute growth in GDP, the West, and the region with the least, the Midwest, is $75,266,000,000.
- The West has 2.50 times the absolute economic growth that the Midwest does in the past year.
- The difference between the region with the greatest growth rate in GDP, the West, and the region with the least, the Northeast, is 1.65 percentage points.
- The West has 2.19 times the economic growth rate that the Northeast does in the past year.
- No one region overtook another over the past year.
- All percentages are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
The Western US is also the region that had no states whose economy shrank in the past year. The other three regions had one each: Connecticut for the Northeast, Louisiana for the South, and Kansas for the Midwest.
The United States as a whole grew by $336,466 million last year for a growth rate of 2.07%.
US Department of Commerce. 2018. "US Bureau of Economic Analysis." Accessed June 26, 2018. https://bea.gov/itable/iTable.cfm?ReqID=70&step=1#reqid=70&step=10&isuri=1&7003=1000&7035=-1&7004=naics&7005=1&7006=01000,02000,04000,05000,06000,08000,09000,10000,11000,12000,13000,15000,16000,17000,18000,19000,20000,21000,22000,23000,24000,25000,26000,27000,28000,29000,30000,31000,32000,33000,34000,35000,36000,37000,38000,39000,40000,41000,42000,44000,45000,46000,47000,48000,49000,50000,51000,53000,54000,55000,56000&7036=-1&7001=11000&7002=1&7090=70&7007=2017,2016,2015,2014,2013,2012,2011,2010,2009,2008,2007,2006&7093=levels.