The chart above shows the GDP and change in GDP over the last ten years in US regions in US dollars. All four regions grew in the past ten years and their growth rates were pretty similar.
- The difference between the region with the greatest absolute growth in GDP, the South, and the region with the least, the Midwest, is $340,526,000,000.
- The South has 2.02 times the absolute economic growth that the Midwest does in the past ten years.
- No region overtook another over the ten year period.
- All percentages are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Southern US consists of Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.
- The Western US consists of California, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Hawaii, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming.
- The Northeastern US consists of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- The Midwestern US consists of Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
Although the West had the greatest relative growth rate at 17.04%, the South's large economy gave it the largest absolute growth at $674,626,000,000. And even though the Northeast had the smallest relative growth, the Midwest had the smallest absolute growth.
While the Midwest had the smallest absolute growth, it was the only region without a state whose economy contracted in the ten year period.
The United States as a whole grew by $1,982,473 million over the ten year period.
US Department of Commerce. 2018. "US Bureau of Economic Analysis." Accessed June 26, 2018. https://bea.gov/itable/iTable.cfm?ReqID=70&step=1#reqid=70&step=10&isuri=1&7003=1000&7035=-1&7004=naics&7005=1&7006=01000,02000,04000,05000,06000,08000,09000,10000,11000,12000,13000,15000,16000,17000,18000,19000,20000,21000,22000,23000,24000,25000,26000,27000,28000,29000,30000,31000,32000,33000,34000,35000,36000,37000,38000,39000,40000,41000,42000,44000,45000,46000,47000,48000,49000,50000,51000,53000,54000,55000,56000&7036=-1&7001=11000&7002=1&7090=70&7007=2017,2016,2015,2014,2013,2012,2011,2010,2009,2008,2007,2006&7093=levels.