The chart above shows the kilometers of waterways per square kilometer of land in EU states. The Netherlands has the greatest waterway coverage in the EU by so much that its waterway coverage is three times as great as the next leading state, Belgium.
- The difference between the state with the greatest waterway coverage, the Netherlands, and the state with the least, Slovakia, is 0.15 kilometers.
- The Netherlands has 42.95 times the waterway coverage that Slovakia does.
- Only the Netherlands has more than 0.05 kilometers of waterways for every square kilometer of land.
- Waterway data is from 2016 except for Belgium (2008), Germany (2013), Luxembourg (2009), and Romania (2015).
- Area data is from 2007.
- Waterway and area data come from different sources.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest thousandth.
- Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden did not have any waterway data.
Just like in the metric of total waterways, it is Western and Northern EU states that dominate in waterway coverage.
The European Union as a whole has 0.014 kilometers of waterways for every square kilometer of land ranking it just under Luxembourg and above Poland.
Eurostat. 2018. "Data Explorer." Accessed May 30, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054762_QID_-228626FA_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_INFR,L,Z,1;WEIGHT,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-054762UNIT,KM;DS-054762WEIGHT,TOTAL;DS-054762TRA_INFR,TOTAL;DS-054762INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=TRA-INFR_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=WEIGHT_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
United Nations. 2007. "United Nations Statistics Division - Environment Statistics." Accessed January 23, 2018. https://unstats.un.org/unsd/environment/totalarea.htm.