The chart above shows the length of waterways in EU states. Finland may have the longest inland waterways but it is followed by several states from the Western EU.
- The difference between the state with the most waterways, Finland, and the state with the least, Luxembourg, is 8,099 kilometers (5,032 miles).
- Finland has 220 times the waterways that Luxembourg does.
- Only Finland has more than 8,000 kilometers (4,971 miles) of waterways.
- Only five states have more than 2,000 kilometers (1,243 miles) of waterways.
- The mean of the 18 states is 2,328.7 kilometers (1,447 miles) and the median 1,283 kilometers (797 miles) of waterways.
- Waterway data is from 2016 except for Belgium (2008), Germany (2013), Luxembourg (2009), and Romania (2015).
- All figures are rounded to the nearest whole.
- Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden did not have any data.
Finland and Italy are the only states with data from their regions while Germany leads the Western EU and Poland leads the Eastern EU in how many kilometers of waterways they have.
The European Union as a whole has 41,917 kilometers (26,046 miles) of waterways.
Eurostat. 2018. "Data Explorer." Accessed May 30, 2018. http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-054762_QID_-228626FA_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;UNIT,L,Z,0;TRA_INFR,L,Z,1;WEIGHT,L,Z,2;INDICATORS,C,Z,3;&zSelection=DS-054762UNIT,KM;DS-054762WEIGHT,TOTAL;DS-054762TRA_INFR,TOTAL;DS-054762INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=TRA-INFR_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=WEIGHT_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName6=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.