The chart above shows the total number of motor vehicles in EU states. Vehicle ownership correlates pretty strongly with population although there are some notable standouts like Italy which has a smaller population than both France and the United Kingdom but surpasses both in vehicles registered.
- The difference between the state with the most vehicles, Germany, and the state with the least, Malta, is 48,102,577 vehicles.
- Germany has 149 times the number of motor vehicles that Malta does.
- Only six states have over 10 million vehicles registered.
- Half the states have over 4 million vehicles registered and the other half under 4 million.
- The mean is 10,507,593 and the median 4,456,489.
- The data is from 2015.
- Total vehicles include automobiles, taxis, buses, trucks, and motorcycles of both public and private use.
Only the Netherlands registers a differences of greater than double from the state that ranks just under it in vehicle registrations.
The top four states account for half the vehicles registered in the EU.
International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers. 2018. "Vehicles in Use - OICA." Accessed January 20, 2018. http://www.oica.net/category/vehicles-in-use/.