The chart above shows the unemployment rate in each EU region as of May 2021 (unless otherwise noted - see caveats below), the change from the previous month, and the rate one year prior. All four regions saw a drop in their rate over the previous month.
- The difference between the region with the lowest unemployment rate, the Eastern EU, and the region with the highest, the Southern EU, is 7.65 percentage points (down from 7.80 last month and up from 6.95 last year). The Eastern and Southern EU held the lowest and highest rates respectively both last month and last year.
- The Southern EU has 2.58 times the unemployment rate that the Eastern EU does (down from 2.60 last month and up from 2.51 last year).
- Of the four regions, 0 saw no change in the rate from the previous month, 4 saw an improvement, and 0 saw a deterioration.
- Of the four regions, 0 saw no change in the rate from last year, 0 saw an improvement, and 4 saw a deterioration.
- Data is from May 2021 except for Estonia and Hungary which are from April 2021, and Greece and the United Kingdom which are from March 2021 (previous month and year rates also reflect the respective one, two, and three month delay).
- Data may conflict with previous month's report as statistical agencies make updates to the rates over the course of the month.
- All figures are rounded to the nearest hundredth.
- The Eastern EU consists of Poland, Czechia, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- The Northern EU consists of Sweden, Denmark, and Finland.
- The Southern EU consists of Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, and Malta.
- The Western EU consists of Germany, United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, and Luxembourg.
In absolute terms, the Western EU had the best performance over the previous month dropping the rate 0.18 percentage points. The Eastern EU had the worst performance over the previous month dropping the rate 0.02 percentage points. Year over year, the Northern EU saw the best performance raising the rate 0.13 percentage points. The Southern EU had the worst performance raising the rate 0.96 percentage points.
In relative terms, the Western EU had the best performance over the previous month dropping its rate 3.40%. The Eastern EU had the worst performance over the previous month dropping its rate 0.41%. Year over year, the Northern EU saw the best performance with a 1.68% rise in its rate. The Southern EU had the worst performance with a 8.32% rise in its rate.
The Southern EU has an unemployment rate that is higher than every state in every other region; Greece and Spain are the only states with a higher rate. The Eastern EU has an unemployment rate lower than all Northern EU states; Czechia, Poland, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Germany, and the United Kingdom are the only states with lower rates.
The Northern EU has the smallest range in unemployment rates this month with a low of 5.6% in Denmark to a high of 9.1% in Sweden. The Southern EU has the greatest range with a low of 3.7% in Malta to a high of 16.4% in Greece.
Eurostat. 2021. "Unemployment by Sex and Age - Monthly Average." Accessed July 13, 2021. https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?query=BOOKMARK_DS-055624_QID_4D4249A1_UID_-3F171EB0&layout=TIME,C,X,0;GEO,L,Y,0;S_ADJ,L,Z,0;AGE,L,Z,1;UNIT,L,Z,2;SEX,L,Z,3;INDICATORS,C,Z,4;&zSelection=DS-055624AGE,TOTAL;DS-055624S_ADJ,SA;DS-055624UNIT,PC_ACT;DS-055624SEX,T;DS-055624INDICATORS,OBS_FLAG;&rankName1=UNIT_1_2_-1_2&rankName2=AGE_1_2_-1_2&rankName3=INDICATORS_1_2_-1_2&rankName4=SEX_1_2_-1_2&rankName5=S-ADJ_1_2_-1_2&rankName6=TIME_1_0_0_0&rankName7=GEO_1_2_0_1&sortC=ASC_-1_FIRST&rStp=&cStp=&rDCh=&cDCh=&rDM=true&cDM=true&footnes=false&empty=false&wai=false&time_mode=NONE&time_most_recent=false&lang=EN&cfo=%23%23%23%2C%23%23%23.%23%23%23.
Office for National Statistics. 2021. "X01: Labour Force Survey Single-Month Estimates." Accessed July 13, 2021. https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/labourforcesurveysinglemonthestimatesx01.