Dateline Headline, a comparison of the headlines of the major New York papers and a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page.
A slow news day. The New York Times leads with Putin's pardon, The Wall Street Journal does a year-end review of the number of gold coins in its pockets, the New York Post could not find anything to lead with and settled, Newsday points out politicians' unctuous nature, and the Daily News reports on reality television.
5. New York Post - GUN DRAMA / Why panicked NYers call 911
Hollywood is using up police resources. Points awarded: 0.
4. Daily News - TV dope blasts gays . . . & loons defend him / GO DUCK YOURSELF
Points for the pun. Points awarded: 2.
3. The Wall Street Journal - Gold Tumbles, Putting Brakes on Rally / Prices Sink to Lowest Close Since 2010; First Annual Decline in 13 Years Likely
Oh well. Points awarded: 2.
2. The New York Times - PUTIN SAYS RIVAL, A JAILED TYCOON, COULD BE FREED / A SURPRISING REVERSAL / Move Comes as Russia Gets Set to Host the Winter Olympics
Probably would have wound up back in jail after the Games, and that is why he hightailed out of there for Germany. Points awarded: 2.
1. Newsday - NEWSDAY SURVEY | LI POLICE MISCONDUCT / WHAT YOUR POLITICIANS SAY / 18 support more oversight / 3 do not / 61 don't answer at all
Haha, a reflection of voting rates. Points awarded: 6.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||2013 Points||Total Points|
|The New York Times||2||418||458|
|The Wall Street Journal||2||409||456|
|New York Post||0||341||386|