The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
The New York Post puts two innocent men on its front cover and portrays them as guilty. All other papers led with the Senate's failure to pass gun control legislation.
5. New York Post - BAG MEN / Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon
More bullshit from the Post. The guy in the blue is a track athlete that voluntarily talked to police and was let go. The other guy is his running coach. Points awarded: 0.
4. Daily News - PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE TO AMERICA AS GUN BILL IS VOTED DOWN ... We've been betrayed by liars and cowards. It's shameful.
Another short story headline from the News. Points awarded: 2.
3. Newsday - GUN CONTROL / DERAILED
Accompanied by a picture of angry Obama. Points awarded: 2.
2. The Wall Street Journal - Senate Scuttles Gun Limits / Expanded Background Checks Fail; Obama Denounces 'Shameful Day for Washington'
Succinct. Points awarded: 2.
1. The New York Times - GUN CONTROL DRIVE BLOCKED IN SENATE; OBAMA, IN DEFEAT, SEES 'SHAMEFUL DAY' / A SERIES OF VOTES / Assault Weapons Ban and Broader Buyer Checks Both Fall
Informative. Points awarded: 4.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||2||186|
|The New York Times||4||178|
|New York Post||0||176|
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~