Economy on the Brinks; Dow Breaks Record
The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
The New York Post goes tasteless. Surprise. But so does Newsday. The New York Times contradicts itself. The Wall Street Journal states the facts, and the Daily News has some fun with a pun.
5. Newsday - KNIVES OK ON PLANES / Feds to allow small blades, bats, ski poles as screeners focus on 'higher-threat' items
In which Newsday becomes a scare monger. Accompanied by pocket knives and a corkscrew that are made to look bigger than Hugo Chavez's head. Points awarded: 0.
4. New York Post - Venezuela bully Chavez is dead / OFF HUGO!
Always classy. Points awarded: 0.
3. The New York Times - AS FEARS RECEDE, DOW INDUSTRIALS HIT A MILESTONE / SOME INVESTORS WARY
Quite the contradictory headline. Points awarded: 0.
2. The Wall Street Journal - Venezuela Leader Chavez Dies at 58
A tasteful Murdoch headline? Points awarded: 2.
1. Daily News - TRACK AND FEEL / Email exposes years of lurid team hazing at elite city HS
Nice little pun that the smart kids at Bronx High School of Science would appreciate. Points awarded: 6.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||2||114|
|The New York Times||0||84|
|New York Post||0||84|