The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
The broadsheets are covering the Justice Department's suit against S&P. Newsday covers hurricane Sandy, and the tabloids cover our local baseball teams and their hopes and desperations.
5. Daily News - AFRAID / Paranoid Alex: Yankees, MLB have it out for me / EXCLUSIVE
So riveting. Points awarded: 0.
4. Newsday - POLS ON SANDY HOME BUYOUT PLAN / LIERS DON'T WANT TO GO / Most say they'd rather rebuild
Ah, those heroic Long Islanders, ready to take on the wrath of climate change, even in their homes. Points awarded: 1.
3. New York Post - MEET MR. BET / Mets meet Citi casino
How ironic that the stadium is named after a
casino bank, and now the team wants a casino at their stadium. Points for a serendipitous headline. Points awarded: 4.
2. The Wall Street Journal - U.S. Sues S&P Over Ratings / Justice Department Says Endorsements of Risky Mortgage Bonds Fueled Crisis
Love this news. Points awarded: 4.
1. The New York Times - U.S. ACCUSES S.&P. OF FRAUD IN SUIT ON LOAN BUNDLES / HIGH RATINGS FAULTED / First Big Federal Action Against Industry on Sour Mortgages
Points for some of the best news we have heard in a while. Points awarded: 4.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||4||63|
|New York Post||4||50|
|The New York Times||4||43|
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~