The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
The broadsheets both covered the situation in Algeria. The remaining papers all went with different stories or non-stories even.
5. Newsday - DEADLY JULY 4 CAPSIZING / NO CHARGES
Dullest of the day. Points awarded: 0.
4. New York Post - SHE LIVES! Te'o fake girlfriend identified
Something about some hoax. Points awarded: 1.
3. The New York Times - ALGERIAN TROOPS ATTACK SITE TO END HOSTAGE STANDOFF / Death Toll Is Unclear, but Some Captives at Gas Field Are Said to Escape
Awkward meter but points for covering a serious news story. Points awarded: 2.
2. The Wall Street Journal - Rescue Raid Turns Deadly / Algeria Operation To Free Hostages Stuns U.S., U.K.
The better of the Algerian raid headlines. A bit of alliteration and scansion. Points awarded: 2.
1. Daily News - WATT A JERK / $165G MTA honcho took generator home during Sandy blackout
Bonus secondary headline: "Flat on a hot tin roof." Points awarded: 8.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||2||40|
|New York Post||1||36|
|The New York Times||2||20|