The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero to ten points. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
The broadsheets went their separate ways today with the Times covering guns and the Journal leading with Boeing's woes. The tabloids had some sort of basketball soap opera sex scandal, yeah. And Newsday that is neither a tabloid nor a broadsheet ran with power company issues. Overall, an abysmal day in headline writing.
5. Newsday - GUV'S PLAN FOR LIPA
Somebody was asked to write a headline and probably copied the first four words of the article. Points awarded: 0.
4. New York Post - NETS' SEX SHOCK / Player quizzed in hotel assault
Yeah. Points awarded: 0.
3. Daily News - CHEERIO / Melo & wife living apart / Revealed: 'Cereal' insult that sparked spat with Celtic
I have no idea what is going on here but here is a point for a cereal representing the "O". Points awarded: 1.
2. The New York Times - CUOMO TO PRESS FOR WIDER CURBS OVER GUN ACCESS / RESPONSE TO MASSACRE
Here is a point for actually covering news. Points awarded: 1.
1. The Wall Street Journal - Fresh Jet Glitches Bedevil Boeing
Here are two points for the only headline that covers news and makes sense. Points awarded: 2.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||2||22|
|The New York Times||1||11|
|New York Post||0||9|