The New York papers are known for their ability to convey the day's most significant news in an eloquent and pithy manner. We here at Dateline Headline will be comparing the headlines of the major New York papers and keep a running tally of the best. Newspapers will be awarded from zero points for not even bothering to show up to ten points for the headline nobody can top. Click on the headlines to see an image of each paper's front page. Can you do better than the New York papers? Place your headline of the day below.
Newsday gets points for combining alliteration with a nice visual and the Daily News gets points for its pun.
5. New York Post - Push Bust / Subway Fiend Watched His Victim Die
This was coupled with another headline where the photographer of yesterday's front page shot says what he did was right. It is not what the photographer did, it is the Post's poor choice of words. Points awarded: 0.
4. The New York Times - G.O.P. Looks for Fallback to Avoid a Fiscal Standoff
Dull. Points awarded: 0.
3. The Wall Street Journal - Big Lots Chief Probed by SEC
Points for meter. Points awarded: 1.
2. Daily News - Louima Torture Cop in Secret Jail Wedding / Bride and Broom
Tasteless. Points awarded: 3.
1. Newsday - LI Debris from Sandy / Moving Mountains
Accompanied with a photograph of piles of rubbish. Points awarded: 4.
|Newspaper||Today's Points||Total Points|
|The Wall Street Journal||1||26|
|The New York Times||0||23|
|New York Post||0||13|